These are my marks made manifest, my wisps of wonder and my mumbled musings. This blog mostly seeks to explore philosophy, ethics, poetry, and religion. I hope that you enjoy it.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Truth

I've been thinking about truth a lot lately.  Yes, I know, cue the stereotype checklist for the philosophy major.  But in all seriousness, I've been trying to think about why truth is important and, more specifically, why lying is bad.  Any better?

There are multiple and varied definitions of what truth is in and of itself, but for the sake of common sense, sanity and readability I think it will work to say that the truth is anything that really is or really was.  This touches on Kant's concept of the noumenal, that which truly is, in and of itself.  Now, there are some problematic notions in Kant that entail that we can't ever really know the noumenal, but for now we'll trust any perceptions of the senses which are clear and distinct, adopting the position of the Scottish Common Sense school of philosophy.  In summary, truth is what is and we can generally trust that what we sense is the truth.

Big deal.  Especially as a Utilitarian, I have to consider why lying is wrong.  What if the overall consequences are good?  What if I save someone time, or even worse, save someone's life by telling what is genuinely a lie?

The problem really comes in when you start to think about what communication really is.  If you tell me anything, whether it's that Taco Bell is giving out free tacos, or that you're having a nice day, you are providing me with information which I can then use to construct an understanding of reality.  So long as you're telling the truth, I'm able to form a mostly genuine conception of the real world and as a consequence I am able to make good decisions.  However, if you lie to me and tell me that you're fine when you're not, or provide me with a devastating surprise at the Taco Bell checkout, what you have ultimately done is present to me a version of the world that doesn't exist.  That's fundamentally disrespectful to me and to my right to make informed decisions.

Also, I love taco bell, and now I have a huge bill to pay up.  Why would you lie to me like that?  That was a dick move.

These thoughts aren't really complete, but that's what I've been processing lately in a rough form: lying and deception are immoral because they fundamentally disrespect the decision-making ability of the individual(s) to whom the deception is presented, by leading them to form a conception of a world that does not exist.  Thoughts?  Comments?  Pithy suggestions on improving my theory?

It's been wonderful,

J.R.M.C.

2 comments:

  1. But as a utilitarian, wouldn't you have to cede that if a lie presents to you a version of the world that ultimately makes you happier is a good thing? If a lie tells you that I am fine when I am not, then I have freed you from the responsibility of being concerned on my behalf. Or if a situation is bad and there is nothing that you, specifically, can do about it, is it better to protect you from that knowledge in favor of creating more happiness in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer both of your questions briefly, no.

    To answer the first: the question is not whether I am likely to be happier, the question is whether or not my decision is likely to create the most happiness. If a lie only presents a happier life to me, then I've fundamentally violated Utilitarianism because I've only (or primarily) factored myself into the calculation.

    To answer your second question and extrapolate a little on the first, the issue with a lie like that is that it ignores one of the most important consequences of the action, the formation of one's character.

    To put it frankly, the kind of person who lies to their friends, even in small matters, is less likely to create happiness than a person who does not lie to their friends. In accordance with this fact, since the basic principles psychology state that we tend to repeat our actions,the primary consequence of telling a lie to a friend is not, in fact, that you somehow spare them the consideration of your problem. The primary, and I would definitively say the most important consequence, is that you as an individual become a less honest person in telling me a lie. This will not only tax our relationship, but it is likely to create displeasure for you in the long run.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete